January 16, 2009

13th Street 2004 Cabernet Franc


(Re-Tasted January 2009) ... Well paint me red and call me Charlie - actually, let's not and say we did. About a week ago I re-tasted a 2004 Cabernet Merlot from 13th Street, and while the tasting was not a disaster, it was not the greatest either. So it was with a little trepidation that I opened this bottle of Cabernet Franc wondering if it too would suffer the same way it's brother had. I have to tell you, that after trying this wine I am more convince than ever that Cabernet Franc is Ontario's grape to run with, even in a mediocre year like 2004 we can make a wine from this grape that'll age better than just decently. The nose still had dollops of spice, a touch of vanilla and hints of cherries (which showed up about half an hour after opening) ... the palate showed the telltale Ontario sign of green pepper along with a little white pepper and some sour cherry. Smooth and clean on the palate and very tasty, I would say it has aged much better than the Cab-Merlot. I wouldn't wait too much longer to drink it if you've got any, it's pleasant right now but I can't see this one getting any better.

No comments: