April 3, 2011

Angels Gate 2006 Sussreserve Riesling

 

(Re-Tasted April 2011) ... I feel I got really lucky with this wine.  Better yet, I feel that Angels Gate got really lucky with this wine.  Not because it worked from concept to wine - the idea of Sussreserving is not a new one - but because they sealed it with a plastic cork and there seems to be little damage to the wine because of it.  I am not going to get into a rant about plastic cork here, though I think they are a blight on the wine world - but I will say that my bottle seemed to be okay (for the most part), if you have any in your cellar, it might not be.  Anyway, tonight was Chinese food night and so a Riesling seemed to be the perfect thing to pair it with.  On the nose this wine have a slight petrol note, some sweet tropical aromas (like pineapple in syrup) and just a hint of oxidation, just a hint mind you.  On the palate there was plenty of apple juice like qualities and a slight lemon rind bitterness on the finish.  All-in-all not bad for 6 years from Vintage date and being under plastic this whole time.  But as I said, if you have any in your cellar or collection, it`s time to fish it out and test the waters, so to speak. 

No comments: