February 23, 2012

Lakeview 2005 Cabernet Sauvignon



(Re-Tasted February 2010) ...  Many who follow this blog or any of my other writing about the wines that I drink know that I am anti plastic cork.  For the most part I find them an inferior closure that is only good for "drink now" wines - if you are unfortunate enough to find yourself face to face with an over 5 year old wine sealed with plastic you are most likely a goner (or at least the wine is) and you should find another bottle.  It happened with the brother of this wine, the 2005 Merlot, so I suspect the same would apply to the Cab.  But a funny thing happened with this wine - it actually came through okay.  Maybe I am just so used to being disappointed that when I am not, or not fully, the slightest bit of normalcy in the bottle is reason to celebrate ... and trust me I did go over this wine thoroughly.  The nose is full of raspberry liqueur, blackberry, anise and even some cedar notes.  The palate proved to have more of that woody-cedary sensation, spicy and dry on the tongue with rougher than expected tannins; dark fruit and cocoa powder also made an appearance.  A decent wine, and sealed under a plastic cork, wow, I'm shocked, I guess this proves that every dog really does have its day.  I have two more of these wines kicking around the cellar, I guess time will tell if they survived also - I know the other 2 bottles of Merlot I had were shot to ... (you know what).  If you have any in your cellar my advice would be to drink these bottles sooner rather than later - the law of averages are not on your side.


No comments: