June 7, 2012

Inniskillin 2003 Late Autumn Riesling


(Re-Tasted June 2012) ... It's been close to nine years in bottle and at least seven years in my cellar - it is the oldest bottle of white wine I have, or had, and so I held to it like a drowning man to a life raft.  But tonight I finally took the plunge with this bottle of Late Autumn Riesling and in truth, I was blown away by it.  The colour was golden in the glass and the nose had a mix of honeyed and poached pears and peaches with just the merest hint of petrol and some candied lime peels - as it sat in the glass the peach turned more into apricots and the poached part disappeared.  Now for the tasting ... and what a fabulous wine it was, especially on the palate.  The flavours were an odd dichotomy of dry and honeyed, switching as it glided through the mouth, apricots, creamed honey, spiced-peaches all balanced off by some really great acidity.  This was a stunning wine and I am glad I held onto it, but now is the time to drink.  It'll hold ten, but not sure it'll see eleven. 


No comments: