March 13, 2013

Hillebrand 2009 Trius Sauvignon Blanc



(Re-Tasted March 2013) ... I have to admit that I can't believe I still have bottles of Sauvignon Blanc in my wine cellar - truth be told the Hillebrand Trius 2009 are the only bottles of older Sauv Blanc I have, but I seem to have quite a few.  I know that when it came out it quite possibly could have been one of the best Savvy B's to come out of Ontario - it had great flavour and the acidity was just a powerhouse.  So it is no surprise I bought a bunch to serve, but it does come as a surprise that I have some left.  So the other day I was teaching a class on Sauvignon Blanc and thought it an opportunity to educate on the ageability (or lack thereof) of the grape ... the common held view is the Sauvignon Blanc does not age and should be drunk young and fresh - those were my thoughts too.  Four years from vintage date and 3 years from release is not the time most people think about opening a bottle of Savvy B ... but in this case I was pleasantly surprised.  The nose has changed from fresh and lively to more complex notes of grapefruit zest and pith, peach pit with hints of grassy, a touch of beeswax and some floral notes.  The palate is still rather zippy still retaining that lively acidity while still adding in a light touch of peach, some lemon and grapefruit - but always sitting in the back is that zip and zing of acidity which has managed to keep the electricity in this wine.  I am totally amazed by how well it has stood up, and also thrilled because, as I mentioned early on, I still have quite a few left.  Congratulations to winemaker Darryl Brooker for this lovely last and (so far) lasting contribution to Ontario wines.


No comments: