January 17, 2008

Thirteenth Street Winery “Reds”


(Re-Tasted December 2007) … Those of you who were lucky enough to pick up this wine (13th Street’s first and only non-VQA wine) grabbed yourself quite a treat. A blend of 50% Cab Sauv and 25% Syrah and Zin … this was a reactionary wine that was made to “get rid” of some juice the boys brought in from California and could not sell. So, instead of letting it sour, they made lemonade (mixed metaphor I know). I bought 7 bottles in the short time it was on the shelf and now I’m down to my last one. Today, the nose is black cherry, plum and milk chocolate while the taste is still as lovely as ever, black cherry and plumy with great red fruit nuances. There is a bit of bite at the end, which is not necessarily tannin derived, I recommend opening and enjoying this one right now or in the next 6 months. What a fabulous experiment this was, though never to be duplicated.

No comments: