February 13, 2011

Henry of Pelham 2006 Off-Dry Reserve Riesling


(Re-Tasted February 2011) ... Another Sunday night, another battle with our demons ... our love of Chinese food from our local favourite.  I would say we eat Chinese from the Magnolia Restaurant as often as we eat chicken, which I think is once every couple of weeks.  And once again I dug around looking for a wine to match, coming up with a 2006 off-dry Riesling from Henry of Pelham.  '06 was a decent year of Riesling, not too great for the red grapes but a year that Riesling loved and this wine shows it.  The nose is pear and peach with a nuance of petrol, some talc and limeade.  The palate was lemon and green apple based with nice acidity and a long luxurious finish.  There is no rush to drink up the bottles in your cellar, this one still can age and should improve gracefully over the next 5 years or more.  Thankfully I have one left myself and will thoroughly enjoy it when the time is right ... that time could be now, but I'm willing to see this one through a few more years.

No comments: