October 19, 2011

Legends Estates 2006 Semillon



(Re-Tasted October 2011) ... My momma once told me, "If you can't say something nice, don't say it at all" ... and if I were to stick with that theory I would leave this page blank.  This is truly one of the nastiest tasting wines I have ever had the misfortune of putting into this column ... and absolute disaster.  And I can't blame the winemaking, the winemaker or the grape - this wine was ruined purely on a closure decision.  This was, in its time, the first ever single varietal Semillon made in Ontario, and it was a beauty.  I remember fawning over this wine and had I been giving stars at the time it would have received the coveted 5-star rating.  Now Semillon is an ageable grape, so this had the potential to be something exciting as it got older.  But alas, a plastic cork has killed this wine's dreams of being something extraordinary in its autumn years.  The wine was oxidized all to hell and just plain nasty to smell and taste.  I can't stress how much I loved this wine in its youth, and how much I abhor what I found upon popping that plastic cork ... unfortunately from such great beginnings this wine isn't worth cleaning the toilet with.  I really wish we would learn our lesson about plastic corks ... the good news is I think some are getting the message, as I am seeing less and less of them, especially in Ontario wines.  If you have any of these wines, flush 'em!  Do not stop by the kitchen in the hopes of cooking with it, do not ruin your meal ... this is a lost cause.  And if you must know, I dumped 3 bottles - and smelled/tasted each one.  As for my mother's advice, all I can say to that is, "sorry mom".

 

No comments: