February 8, 2013

Mountain Road Wine Company 2004 Botrytis Affected Riesling



(Re-Tasted January 2012) ... This is the second time I have re-tasted this wine - and now the last, because I am out of bottles.  This was a wine I was planning to take to the Wine Writers' Circle of Canada's dinner party that was held in late January ... unfortunately weather forced me to miss the dinner so I decided to take it to a meeting of the same organization instead a few days later.  I was a little scared because after taking the capsule off I noticed my old nemesis - plastic cork - but I carried on anyway.  Seems that sweet and good acidity can beat out plastic cork ... though I still believe this was further oxidized because of the closure - or at least prematurely so.  But when you get a bunch of wine writers into a room to taste a bottle, no matter how funky you think it is, someone is bound to like it.  And so was the case, as descriptors like marmalade, candied green apple and Madeira-like were thrown out ... the wine was also a very rich golden yellow colour.  If you have any in your cellar you might not be a fan of this any longer - though I do know one person who could drink it everyday and twice on Sunday.


No comments: